Mighty Marketing Recommended Resources for Solopreneurs
I love recommending software, tools,books, blogs, and resources for easier, smarter marketing and business growth
If you know anything about me, either as my once alter ego The InfoHound or with my library degree and my teaching work, you know I love testing and trying new tools, apps, software, gear, and gadgets. I try to do my homework (hey, I’m a trained librarian after all!) and research gear and tools before I try, buy or recommend. That's a big reason you're here, right. I suggest you do your research too, even with things I’m recommending to you here.
I like a LOT of tools, but I'll try to highlight my faves here. I'll tell you why I like a tool, why I prefer one over another I tried, and what I maybe exploring next. I'll give you book recommendations – because, hello, librarian here. 😉 I'll also list pages or solid, ‘evergreen' posts that have top resources for making you a smarter marketing solopreneur. This is the one-stop-shop for smart, mighty marketing resources
Top Pages or Posts of Key Resources for Smarter Solopreneur Marketing
I wrote a FAQ explaining what PLR/White Label or Licensed Content is and why a solopreneur like you or me might be interested and use something like that in our business. I want to demystify it and take away some of the fear factor that I know I had when I first encountered the notion of paying for ghostwritten content. Yes, it can be legit and good and yes, it can make sense for you!
Favorite Apps and Online Tools
I have recommendations for you in tools for website building, email marketing, social media monitoring and management, graphic design, and photo/video. I keep adding to, and tweaking, my list so it gets its own page.
Reading Recommendations for Smart Solopreneurs to Get Even Smarter
Some of the great marketing books on my office bookshelf:
- Everybody Writes: Your Go-to Guide to Creating Ridiculously Good Content – Ann Handley (I've loved everything she's written, all her social posts – and yeah, she liked this pic when I shared it as my summer reading a few years back! Years ago I also devoured her co-written book Content Rules, but it's likely more than a bit dated now as it gets into details of tech + platforms)
- Duct Tape Marketing, The Referral Engine – John Jantsch (some of the first books I studied to get a handle on marketing when I transitioned to being a solopreneur and needed to know how different it could be for us solos/small biz)
- All Marketers
Are Liars Tell Stories, Purple Cow-Transform Your Business by Being Remarkable (and practically anything else by him!) – Seth Godin
- The New Rules of Marketing & PR – David Meerman Scott
- Content Marketing for Nonprofits – Kivi Leroux Miller (so much here that can help my solopreneur pals too – this is one of the most underlined, flagged books on my shelf)
- Contagious: Why Things Catch On – Jonah Berger (Wharton -U Penn, marketing professor, Berger has spent decades studying why some ideas are hot and ‘go viral' and others don't. The scientific look inside our social media explosion.)
- Hacking Marketing: Agile Practices to Make Marketing Smarter, Faster, and More Innovative – Scott Brinker
- Content Inc – Joe Pulizzi (founder of Content Marketing Institute)
- Pivot: The Only Move That Matters Is Your Next One – Jenny Blake (picked this up after hearing Jenny give keynote at a conference for independent info pros/consultants; all of us are going to pivot our careers/businesses/life more than once-let's get better at doing so and not feeling stuck)